Wednesday 5 June 2013

Back in the Swing of Things

So, it has been a while since I last posted, and for that, I apologise. You know how it is, life sometimes just gets in the way of the fun stuff. 

Yesterday I went down to the rink and had my first private lesson in what seems like forever, and I got to talk to some of my fellow skaters too, which was something I missed when I had to skate at weekends. So, a few of us got chatting, and had a coffee before my lesson.

I got to see one of my closer skating friends which rekindled the friendly competition between us (she's one level above me) I only have 2 more elements I need to pass before we're back on the same level. She had her lesson before me, so I skated around, practicing and getting used to the sharpening on my blades.

That's a funny story actually. I saw my regular sharpening guy was back at the rink before I got on the ice and asked him to sharpen my blades, and he took a look, saying he'd check with my coach. She was amazed I wasn't happy on the edges, as they looked OK. But, as it turned out, I'm one of these people who likes really sharp blades. So he did a tiny amount of sharpening, to bring my inside edges up to standard, and sent me on my way, saying if the blades were too sharp he could tone them done a bit. 

Only problem? I can't stop at the moment - good thing I skate on quiet days!

So, my lesson. We signed off my forwards crossovers and 2 foot spin, and worked on the backwards one foot glide that has been eluding me. I need to work on these still, but they're actually closer to passing than I thought, so that's good. We also did backwards snowplough stops, these should get signed off after I can stop on my blades again haha.

We also did some prep for 3 turns, getting the 2 foot turn spot on, and also worked on my spin entry which produced better spins than I'd been doing during my practices. 

Before my lesson, my coach ran through a "simple" step sequence with me and my friend, and demonstrated it. We're going to have to learn that when we get to Level 10 - I am scared. It seems really complicated to me, but as we'll be learning each individual element in the levels before, it should be OK. Eventually.

After my lesson, she was teaching another lady, and then had us both doing a simpler step sequence, the only thing I struggled with, because we've not been through it yet, was the bunny hop. It was nice to start stringing moves together - gave me a good feeling.

There's also talk of doing a Christmas skating gala, which I so want to be a part of, so putting things into routines is good practice for that. I am going to start exploring music possibilities in a few more weeks, just for a little programme of my own making. Myself and another skater were talking costumes for this gala, and we think we're going to get cheap leotards and skirts and just wear those. 

Sounds like a plan to me, and will give me some more motivation for my weight loss, which currently stands at 16lbs since February. 

Until next time - skate safe, have fun, and be happy :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment